Reverse Hike at Torrey Pines
8:00 – 10:30 am
June 15th – Saturday
July 20th – Saturday
August 4th – Sunday
Sunset Hike at Kwaay Paay
Short and steep!
7-9 pm (FREE)
What Makes a Hike Enjoyable?
Not all hikes need to be with other people. Sometimes a solo hike is exactly the soul needs. There is a freedom that comes with traveling with the sound of your hiking boots on the trail. You don’t feel alone among the trees and breeze. Solo hiking as a woman is sometimes too big of an outdoors jump for some and taking some fellow women can go a long way in hiking comfort.
Hiking with women offers opportunity to shed the expectations that society (and ourselves) places on women. When there is only women hiking together then there are no pre-defined roles based on gender. Hiking with friends, new and old, can add enthusiasm, perspective and insight not available when hiking solo.
- Good fit
- Traction! Traction! Traction! This is the biggest deal breaker – make sure you have tread and trail shoes are a great way to go.
- I have a $120 pair (REI) for serious or longer hikes and a $35 pair (Costco) for everyday hikes
- Wool – When wet keep you warm & durable ( I love Darn Tough brand)
- Synthetic – Dry quickly and wick sweat away from skin
- Cotton – Good if you don’t plan to sweat or get wet
- Comfortable and durable pants or shorts
- I avoid jeans as they are restrictive and don’t breathe well
- Yoga pants work for low-impact hiking and grass sitting
- The Scree Hiking pant from REI is my favorite
- Hiking shirt
- I like basic hiking long sleeved shirt (I roll up the sleeves in warmer weather)
Rotate your trail snacks or grow to loathe them! I can’t eat beef jerky anymore… too many long days of jerky meals and smells. Some of my friends can’t eat raisins anymore since they were always in the morning oatmeal.
Below are a few of my favorite trail snacks. I aim for ~200 calories per hour of moderate hiking.
- Peanut/Almond butter in packets
- Dried fruit
- Caramelized ginger
- Trail mix (a classic that can’t be beat)
- Energy jelly chews or Jelly Beans
- Bacon in a snack bag
- Favorite candy